Friday, May 08, 2009

butterflies and Melanie Testa Workshop

I watched my friend Melanie Testa's new DVD, and have begun reading her new book Inspired to Quilt: Creative Experiments in Art Quilt Imagery and was immediately inspired to try something. Unlike Melly, however, I didn't make a 'map' and just worked intuitively. And, I didn't use dyes, I used Shiva Paintstiks...but I did use hand-dyed silk organza, cotton fabric and freezer paper. Three layers about 5x9" hand sewn.

Oh yea, and Melanie Testa is coming to San Diego to do a two day workshop.

Monoprint with Soy Wax Resist on Cloth
June 13 & 14 9am-4pm
Location: San Diego (NTC Liberty Station, Point Loma area)
Cost: $150 2-day workshop, plus $20 materials fee
Registration: email Jane LaFazio at PlainJaneStudio@gmail.com

Monotypes combine the spontaneity of printed dyes and cloth, creating a surface that is unlike any other technique. Each image can only be reproduced once, making your fabric unique and original to you. Combined with the use of Soy Wax, we will explore ideas of scale, motif, texture and depth. We will be using Procion MX dyes on cotton fabric in this two day class.

Materials include 2 yards prepared fabric for dying, fiber reactive dyes and soy wax and tools.

1 comment:

  1. I always want to try Shiva sticks and never get around to buying them. I love the effect.
    and um, a secret? I don't always make a map either, just when I try to explain things in 144 pages or less.
    I love the Spoon Flower fabrics you are making. Perhaps I should bring some text or maybe I should call the tomes about color ways, repeats and half drops with me to San Diego.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting JaneLaFazio.com!

Related Posts with Thumbnails